Sunday, February 17, 2013

Dead Apple TV

I have had an Apple TV since there was one (spring 2007, for the curious).  Thought it would be a cool device to rent movies on the fly with.  It has served that purpose, and pretty much only that purpose since I've bought it.  I considered myself reasonably happy with the purchase (but not extremely so).

It died tonight as evidenced from my failed attempts to purchase Looper and watch it.  At first, I thought it might have something to do with the HDMI going through my receiver, but after isolating that issue, it became obvious that it was just the Apple TV screwing up.  My son googled the issue and within seconds declared that it was a video card issue.  Oh well.  Its dead and their probably won't be another one in the house in the future.

Update 2013-02-24:  After looking at my options, I decided to replace the Apple TV with a Roku 2 XD.  The content options look better on Roku than Apple TV - the former really only having one option (iTunes) from which to rent movies.  While not a terrible choice, it seems a bit limiting.  Worst case scenario, Amazon has the same movie set (from what my limited research indicates) available for $0.01 less.  Not a huge discount, but there will be options.

No comments: