Saturday, June 15, 2013

Another Set of LED Bulbs

I finally found some GU10 LEDs that look like they should be useful.  Again, its Feit bulbs that seem to be hitting the sweet spot.  $11 per bulb, almost half the price of other brands (found at Home Depot in Reston, VA).  I bought three to start to replace the terrible bulbs I had bought at Amazon.  Read the reviews of that one - you won't buy it.  As for Feit, I'm pretty comfortable that they will last.


Below is my email addressing this subject (LED lightbulb replacements) sent to Tyler Cowen of Marginal Revolution fame.
Tyler,
Long-time follower of your blog.  I don't know if you respond to questions, but in the off chance that you do, I have a question that came up in my mind after I bought some LED lightbulbs at HomeDepot this morning.
I haven't seen this addressed elsewhere, though I will admit I haven't searched too extensively (but Google Scholar has been part of my attempt).  In any event, this might be an interesting topic for discussion given your ability to write clearly and distill issues down to their core.
So, consider the homeowner seeking to manage their lighting needs.  For instance, if a lightbulb goes out at the home, the owner would want to be able to replace it immediately and therefore requires a stock of unused bulbs.  However, on the last trip to the store, the homeowner decides to purchase LED bulbs due to a desire to (a) save money (b) not be the cranky dad that yells at the kids for leaving the lights on (from personal experience, this tendency is much reduced if the wattage is 1/5th that of incandescence) and (c) not change lightbulbs in the future.  (b) and (c) are hard to quantify, let's assume for the moment that their economic value is zero, along with the cost of changing a bulb.  When the homeowner returns home, she determines that all of her lightbulbs are functioning.  She has a nagging feeling though, that it makes sense for her to pre-emptively change bulbs to the LEDs given that her $20/bulb investment will otherwise go to waste.  What is the right framework for her to think about this problem (I suppose a standard DCF analysis could be used)?  Are there other investments that follow the same pattern?
It seems obvious to me that if what I said about (b) and (c) is true, she should immediately change the bulbs.  Relaxing the assumption that changing bulbs has a cost could potentially change that conclusion if the costs were high enough.  Do you agree?  Do you know if this has this been part of the energy efficiency discussion?
Regards,
Mark
http://stepbeyondgadgets.blogspot.com/
(Update 2013-06-15 17:15) Tyler was gracious enough to provide a quick response to my inquiry:
There is clearly some attention cost, and what economists call "S-s" rules seem to apply here, in any case I will ponder this more and blog if I come up with something...

Tyler
Looks like I have some research to do.  I will post later, if I think I have something interesting to say based on that.

No comments: