Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Magical Fastener Technology

I recently installed a bike lift in my garage and had some thoughts on fasteners.  The core product is great (a few pulleys, bike grabber hooks and some rope) and works well.  I installed one over a year ago and bought a second because I found the first one useful and I have more than one bike.  When I installed the first one, I used my own screws, leaving the ones provided just to screw the cleat into the wall.  This time, I used the fasteners provided to install the metal brackets to a 2 x 4.  This post is largely born out of frustration with the cheap, crappy fasteners that came with the device.

Here are my complaints:

  1. The fasteners do not say what exact Phillips head form they have.  This results in the installed guessing and not likely finding a perfect match.  A couple of potential solutions here:
    1. Put in your instructions exactly what form it is.  This is the lowest cost and easiest approach.  I find it inexcusable that it was not done.
    2. Include in your installation kit the perfect driver for your included fastener.  This is the most hassle-free approach for the customer and preferred by me.
  2. The fasteners provided are not hardened, such that if you catch the screw a little bit off, you will end up shearing off the material and render the screw head useless for further driving.
  3. The fasteners are intended to be driven into wood.  Perhaps you don't need to pre-drill a hole, but some folks my want to do this.  The instructions should provide guidance as to the diameter of a pre-drilled hole (i.e., "use no larger than a 3/32" hole if you decide to pre-drill screw holes").  Without pre-drilling, these screws were really, really tough to get into a pine 2 x 4.  This isn't exactly hardwood.
Given that installation of a product is so close to its purchase (and the likely time that a customer will provide feedback in the form of a product review), I find it incomprehensible that product manufacturers don't do a better job at this.  Its not rocket science - in fact, it is in most ways not even a technology issue.  Perhaps it could be universally solved with better technology, but I don't think that we need to go there (nor may the costs be worth it).

Ruined screw head . . . not likely to get fixed any time soon

No comments: