Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Protection!

I am renting out a room in my house and went downstairs to check on the smoke detector.  When I did, I found that there was no smoke detector.  I did some quick research on Amazon and found that I would probably spend about $40 for a combination carbon monoxide detector.  I thought for a bit and broke down and bought a nest Protect.  It came today.


While it was more complicated to install than your average everyday smoke detector / carbon monoxide detector, it wasn't very hard.  It does, however, require a mobile device to which you can connect to it via wifi.  Given that I already had a nest Thermostat (and a nest account), there was little to do during the setup process except for name the device (choose the room) and enter my Wifi network's password.  The folks at nest thoughtfully included the first batch of six AAA batteries; I'm hopeful that they last for some meaningful amount of time.  If things go well with this one, I will consider adding more to other levels of the house.  Or, it might be better to wait until they add thermometers to communicate with my nests.

Four screws (provided) later and I was good to go.  Now, my phone will get an alert when the house is on fire!

No comments: