Saturday, December 8, 2018

Not So Smart Meters

Undoubtedly Dominion Virginia Power spent a lot of money to install smart meters across it's system.  Mine was installed a couple of years ago, well after the 2010 installations in more dense parts of Northern Virginia.  I'm questioning how valuable that investment was based on my interactions with the data to date.

The smart meter at my house is shown below.  If you look at the meter for a while, you will see it show two different numbers.  I'm guessing it provides: maximum power consumption over the last 24 hours and cumulative kWh consumed.
Max kWh?

Cumulative kWh burned since the meter has been installed?

I only became aware of the availability of daily and 30 minute data last year when I was poking around the Dominion website.  I was intrigued that the smart meter that I already had could potentially give me most of the insights that my (now broken) TED would have been doing.  So far, though, I have failed to find anything super helpful from my smart meter data.


No comments: